Hairy Stout...and other fun stuff my kid says

Kids.  As I believe the old saying goes, they say the darndest things.  Mine is no exception.  In general, her understanding of and ability to reproduce language is very good.  So good in fact, that it can be disturbingly clear when she has overheard mommy and daddy  someone at daycare saying a bad word.  I found her with my cell phoned the other day looking at the screen saying, "Dammit".  Those other kids are such a bad influence!  She wasn't screaming or acting out, just saying very matter of fact like of course this is what you say when you are on the phone.

She's also taken to mimicking adult conversations when she plays.  She might go into another room and then come back and cross her arms and jabber (she still does this sometimes!  Yea!) and then top all the fast talk off with an, "Any-way, see ya later" and then go back to the other room.  The "anyway" is always all drawn out and, for her, seems to be the hallmark of grown-up conversation.

Her grandparents visited a while back.  At some point she said to her grandmother, "Mimi, you're killing me!"  That's the stuff that really tickles me, when she uses something so complex in such an appropriate manner.  I know she's well over two now, but I think the whole language explosion just happens so fast that it still takes me by surprise when she does these things.

Lately, she's been describing the conditions of things very accurately.  "It's so dark in here!"  or "It's cold out there."  She's just grasping concepts and applying them to her everyday experience with no coaxing at all.

Then, of course, there's hairy stout.  It's kind of like me and bunch of songs I heard in the '80's.  I just made up words when I didn't understand the lyrics.  Who could understand what the hell Tom Petty or Stevie Nicks was saying anyway?  If I wanted to make up the lyrics, as long as the tune was right, nobody noticed.  That's what The Nugget did with hairy stout.

It goes a little something like this:

I'm a little teapot, hairy stout.
Here is my handle, here is my spout.
When I get all steamed up, here me shout.
Tip me over and pour me out.

Now, for a kid with the grasp of language I describe above, I don't know how she came up with that.  Probably because she didn't know the word stout.  But hairy?  I'm not sure how she got that from "short and"!  I love it, though.  It reminds me that she can't yet say everything perfect.  So, she's still a little bit of my baby, right?  Don't answer that.  I need to think I'm right on this one.

Anyway...that's enough talking about talking for now!  I'd like to keep this hairy sweet!

Comments

  1. Aidan has just started doing these same funny things. Last night in the tub he was re-enacting a Dora the Explorer plot with his Thomas the Train bath toys. Good stuff. Aren't the developmental differences between boys and girls amazing! Girls really grasp the communication concepts so much more quickly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Every comment is practically perfect in every way!

Popular posts from this blog

You're Still a Good Mom

What New Tires Can Do

Dear Birth Mother