The Smack Down

Oh, how my toddler taunts me with her rapidly changing emotional currents!  And so early!  I thought it was the terrible TWOS, but we are clearly in the one year old range now at 16 months.  Is there no mercy?

The Nugget has recently taken to tantrums.  Screaming.  Twisting.  Kicking.  The works.  She has always been a very well-behaved child, and, though I knew tantrums would come, I was still shocked by their arrival and by the ferocity of the things!  She has always had her own voice and an opinion about things, something The Mister and I have encouraged, but this voice is so angry and loud.  And embarrassing, I might add.  Totally, utterly embarrassing.

Some family came to visit the other day with their adorable four month old baby.  He is sweet natured and lovely and super smoochable.  Needless to say, I smooched.  How could I not?  I hold up the below picture as all the evidence you need:


 As you can see, the nugget was enjoying his company.  They  were sharing a moment with Elmo and having what I would consider a lovely time.  I knew to expect some jealousy; after all, the Nugget is an only child.  She is not used to sharing her parents very often.  I took care to make her feel loved, included and involved with me as well.  See:


Smooches all around!  Pretty soon, however, the Nugget thought that adorable little man was smelling like day old fish.  If he so much as looked at a toy of hers, she came and took it away.  Where she had been kissing and petting and showing him things, she now gave him one good WHACK on the head.  At first I thought she made a mistake, saying to her, "be gentle".  To ensure I understood her intent, she gave the poor little guy one more good WHACK on the head.

GAH!  Needless to say, this earned a time out along with much apologizing.  Vanishing cream, anyone?  I could have died!  My cousin handled it very well.  I know I would have been fuming if it was my baby who got smacked!  In the Nugget's defense, she was over-tired, but STILL.  

Maybe I will stop trying to steer her toward math and science oriented careers and start looking toward WWF.  At least the putting the smack down on someone is not only acceptable, but fully expected.  Of course, in the intervening years, I'm not sure how I'm going to channel that energy.  Let's hope adding chores as she grows older will wear her down a bit.  Until then, watch your babies, people!



The Nugget is on the loose!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You're Still a Good Mom

What New Tires Can Do

Dear Birth Mother